The Centara World Masters Golf Championship returns to Hua Hin in 2022 (8-14 May), and there’s a good many reasons to get excited about this year’s instalment. After a two-year Covid-enforced layoff, golfers from around the world will doubtless be raring to go come May, and we’re gearing up for a memorable event.
As always, we expect the Asian and Oceania contingent to turn out in their numbers for Asia’s biggest and richest tournament for club golfers, and in addition to this we’re looking forward to welcoming participants from various other locations around the world.
In fact, previous Centara World Masters instalments have seen golfers fly in from near and far, including such far-flung locations as Iceland, France, Switzerland, Dubai, Canada and South Africa, giving the event a truly international flavor.
So, with the countdown now officially on for this year’s event, what makes it stand out and what can participants expect?
- A stunning location – Hua Hin is one of Thailand’s premier beach resort getaways, and it makes a stunning seaside backdrop for the event. A short 2.5-hour drive south of Bangkok, Hua Hin has twice won the International Association of Golf Tour Operators award for Asia Golf Destination of the Year (most recently in 2019).
- Superb, world-class courses – the six-day event will be staged at the world-class Banyan Golf Club, Black Mountain Golf Club and Springfield Royal Country Club courses, with each course boasting an array of impressive features. You can find further details on specific course features at the official event website: https://www.thailandworldmasters.com/
- Plenty of prizes – prizes totaling US$30,000 will be up for grabs, with the event – open for golfers 35 and over – to be played across a range of age and handicap divisions. This is a popular format, which sees men and women golfers pitted against peers of a similar age and standard.
- Plenty of fun – this year a teams championship (minimum of five players) has been added to the program, with the best five scores counting each day. Expressing your team’s unique identity, you’ll also be able to personally design the caddy bib with your nickname, team name or country flag.
- Time to travel – after the widespread restrictions of the past few years, Thailand and other countries in the region are easing entry requirements, with international travel back on the agenda. No doubt, many will welcome the opportunity to dust off their passports and experience the many attractions Hua Hin and Thailand have to offer.
- First-rate accommodation – most golfers participating in the tournament stay at the beachfront Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas, which draws on a rich history and tradition stretching back to the 1920s in combining modern luxuries with the elegance of a bygone era.
- After-play events – the Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas provides a stunning setting for the event’s lively schedule, hosting the opening night welcome dinner, after-play 19th Hole festivities, and closing gala presentation dinner, complete with beer, wine, soft drinks and entertainment.
As past instalments have shown (photos here: https://www.facebook.com/centaraworldmastersgolfchampionship/), Hua Hin truly is a magnificent setting for the event, and doubtless there’ll be a number of keen golfers exploring the lie of the land (both on and off the course) come May.
Further information can be found at the official event website: https://www.thailandworldmasters.com/
This post has already been read 13 times!