1. Abundance of world class hotels and resorts. I can not think of another city with more 5 star resorts, readily available vacancies, and costs for luxury accommodations as low as Bangkok.
2. Some of the regions best shopping including both local centers like MBK (clothes and telephones), Chatuchak Market (everything under the sun), Pantip Plaza (computers) , and Thaniya Plaza (golf equipment) and luxury shopping malls like Siam Paragon and the Emporium.
3. Mind-blowing, spicy, and healthy cuisine such as Som Tom (papaya salad), tom yum goong (spicy soup with coconut milk and shrimp), rice noodles with minced pork (a golf course favorite).
4. Efficient transportation including the sky train, subway, highways and links to airports and Bangkok golf courses.
5. Exotic cultural attractions like the Grande Palace (one of the world’s man made wonders), floating market, Chao Praya River and numerous temples and palaces.
6. Nightlife that will delight every taste. If you are in the mood check out the world’s highest outdoor restaurant at Sirocco. If you are prefer clubbing alongside of local movie stars try Bed Supper Club constructed from a large horizontal aluminum tube. Finally, for those who are on in Bangkok on their own remember the hit song “One Night in Bangkok……”: it is still all true!
7. That Thai smile! It is unbelievable; women wearing flat bamboo hats welcome visitors from around the world with broad smiles. Every Thai from owners of large companies to room maids walk around all day with a bright smile! Now isn’t that is a real service mind set and a change from what you see when visiting most major Western or other Asian cities?
8. Finally, last bust not least especially for golfers: availability, variety and quality of Bangkok golf courses. With 60 golf courses to choose from visitors, unaccompanied by members, are allowed to play even if the course claims to be private. In the USA and Europe, or even in Australia or China, it is rare for amateurs to have the opportunity to play on professional level courses. Yet in Bangkok you can readily play at courses such as Alpine Golf & Sports Club (where Tiger Woods won in 2000) and Thai Country Club (where Vijay Singh won in 1998).
Well that is my take on things. If you have any thoughts please feel free to post a comment or send me an email at my Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia golf tour company.